Shoe is an American comic strip about a motley crew of newspapermen, all of whom are birds. It was written and drawn by its creator, cartoonist Jeff MacNelly, from September 13, 1977 until his death in 2000. It has since been continued by Chris Cassatt, Gary Brookins and Susie MacNelly.
While not politically oriented in the style of strips such as Doonesbury, Shoe often pokes fun at various social and political issues of the day (especially when Senator Batson D. Belfry makes an appearance). Although not particularly well-known outside of the U.S., Shoe was in fact granted its own monthly comic book in Norway for a brief time in 1987 under the name "Sjur," which consisted of reprints from newspapers. The magazine reached a total of six publications. Later on, in 1989, Shoe did a brief comeback to Norwegian readers, this time under the name "Krax," appearing as an extra-feature in the then brand-new Calvin & Hobbes magazine.
The strip won MacNelly the National Cartoonists Society's Reuben Award for the year 1979.
Characters and setting
DIY Made Easy: COMIC BOOK SHOES! - http://mad-madison.tumblr.com/ I've seen several examples of this on the internet, and I decided to give it a try. I WANT TO WEAR THEM EVERYWHERE!
Shoe deals with the day-to-day foibles of a group of newspaper employees and their families, all of whom are portrayed as anthropomorphized birds, in the fictional locale of Treetops, East Virginia.
Collections and reprints
(All titles by Jeff MacNelly)
- The Very First Shoe Book (1978) Avon
- The Other Shoe (1980) Avon
- Shoe Extra (1980) Yaffa Publishing (Australia)
- The New Shoe (1981) Avon
- On with the Shoe! (1982) Holt, Rinehart & Winston
- A Shoe for All Seasons (1983) HRW
- The Shoe Must Go On (1984) HRW
- The Greatest Shoe on Earth (1985) HRW
- One Shoe Fits All (1986) HRW
- How Many Next Years Do You Get in Baseball?: Shoe Goes to Wrigley Field (1988) Bonus Books
- Too Old for Summer Camp and Too Young to Retire (1988) St. Martin's Press
- A Cigar Means Never Having to Say You're Sorry (1989) St. Martin's Press
- Shake the Hand, Bite the Taco (1990) St. Martin's Press
- Apply a Little Hardware to the Software (1991) Quark Prods.
- The Athletic Shoe (1991) St. Martin's Press
- Out to Lunch: A Brand New Shoe (1993) Tribune Publishing
- New Shoes (1994) Contemporary Books
- Play Ball! All I Ever Learned I Forgot by the Third Inning (1999) Triumph
- From Couch Potato to Mouse Potato: Success Tips for the Technically Impaired (1978) Triumph
- 27 Years of Shoe: World Ends at Ten, Details at Eleven (2004) Andrews McMeel
- Shoe official site
- NCS Awards